Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Strut corrosion

Discussions on everything airframes.
  • Advertisement

Strut corrosion

Postby flames25 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59 am

Hi,

I have recently noticed the start of some corrosion to the top end of the wing struts around the rivets (jab UL 430).

Has anyone else had this .... and if so what did you do?

It's going to be a job for the winter (has just passed annual) but I want to start thinking about it now.

Any advice would be gratefully received.
flames25

Aircraft: jabiru UL (430)

Re: Strut corrosion

Postby diablo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:14 am

I had the same thing on my SK struts.

Best to tackle it quickly as it will only get worse. I stripped the paint of the ends using a gentle approach (fine wire wool, do NOT use solvents as it may compromise rivets) and brought them back to metal (aly). Cleaned up the corrosion and applied a dollop of clear grease. Grease acts as an anti-oxidant and as long as the metal has a thin film of it, it will not corrode. I check for play and clean my strut joints at every service (after all, failure if not an option here) using a rag that has a little grease and that seems to keep my struts oxidation free.

I suppose you could paint them again but paint tends to flake and eventually trap water and cause oxidation.
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:26 pm

I found one of my strut to wing attachments corroded. Didn't bother cleaning it just replaced it. Took ages for it to be delivered from jabiru. Think my problem was being at the end of the strut that area is used for tiedowns. The rope wore the paint away at some point, moister got in.
Matt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aircraft: G-BZWK

Postby flames25 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. It's appreciated.
flames25

Aircraft: jabiru UL (430)

Return to Airframe