Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Replacing brake pads

Discussions on everything airframes.
  • Advertisement

Replacing brake pads

Postby weirdfish » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:34 pm

I need to replace the pads ad have bought the new style but the Ikea style 'some assembly required' took me a bit by surprise. Can someone just give a quick summary of the process of turning the bag of material and rivets into usable pads :oops:

Cheers
J400
Engine No. 556

Jabiru (jab-er-roo) - Temperature anxiety disorder.
weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J400

Re: Replacing brake pads

Postby diablo » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:51 pm

hello weirdfish.

some fitting is required applies to new and old. what that means is that you will have to disassemble the disk plates that hold the pads and rivet new pads on to them. As the new pads maybe slightly thicker than originals, you may also need to just roughen them up a bit with coarse sand paper. However, I did not have a problem with mine.

I did my pads with a round head screw that has a diameter that is equal or slightly less than rivet and a hammer.

Put screw with head up in vice
Locate pad and rivet on plate
Align screw to head to rivet head
Use nail punch or suitable tool to secure rivet by distorting (with hammer) or use rivet crimp tool

It is straight forward, just be careful not to damage disk pads when riveting as they are quite brittle.
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby weirdfish » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:47 pm

cheers :)
J400
Engine No. 556

weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Postby weirdfish » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:54 am

Well that was a lot more straightforward than I originally thought it was going to be :)
J400
Engine No. 556

weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Postby weirdfish » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:18 pm

When you change the pads you do get a good view of how the brake system works and I have to say it seems a bad design. They seem to have designed the dual caliper with 'quick change' pads as a sliding caliper and then disabled the ability to slide by having the piston push up against a relatively solid backing plate. Surely it would be a better design to have the piston coming through the backing plate and pushing directly onto the inboard pad.

I'm assuming it's because the original design had the pads riveted directly to the backing plate but I'm surprised that as part of the upgrade to quick change pads, a very loose use of the phrase quick change, it wasn't specified to make an opening in the backing plate, enabling the piston to travel through. And it would have saved weight ;)
J400
Engine No. 556

weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Garyo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:14 pm

After flying a new c42 for many hrs, i come to realise how bad a jab braking system is, or utter lack of it, the c42 will lock the wheels with a little pressure on the handle, the jab I am hanging onto it for dear life to try and get it to stop, fred flinston braking comes to mind with the jab
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pilottrev » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:49 pm

we replaced our brake pads on Sunday, what a difference the new larger pads make, now its two finger braking and as our strip is just a tad over 300mtrs good brakes are essential.

Riveting the friction material on was not too bad a task, I used a bolt the shaft the same size as the rivet head held in the vice and two centre punches to equally distort the open ends of the rivets before finishing them off with the ball end of a hammer.

We did find though when fitting them on the plane that the port caliper slide was seized so must have been less than effective and the starboard side inner pad plate was not true so the slide was binding. After about an hour of fettling we had both sides working at 100% and boy what an improvement. We now check the free movement of the caliper slides after each flight by catching hold of the pipe fixing where it wraps round the leg and is fixed to the caliper by giving it a wiggle at the same time making sure the threads on the slide bolts are still flush to the ends of the nuts.

hope this all makes sense to everyone, not a daunting task at all.

safe landings

Trev
pilottrev

Aircraft: ul-450

Return to Airframe