Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Rebound rubber

Discussions on everything airframes.
  • Advertisement

Rebound rubber

Postby pilottrev » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:10 am

The rebound rubber ( the single rubber doughnut ) on the front leg of my Jabiru has quite a few age cracks, does anyone know can this be replaced without taking the leg off ?
pilottrev

Aircraft: ul-450

Re: Rebound rubber

Postby Garyo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:28 pm

Yes it can, put a ratchet strap or even a bit of rope vertically, ratchet strap better. Have someone pull the front down by the prop, then ratchet it up to that point
Remove bolt n washer, swop the doughnut put washer n bolt back in, have mate pull down again and release the strap, job done
Cheers
Gary

P.s anyone need a complete rubber shocker and top rebound, I have a new set for sale
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:59 pm

If you are talking about the black small rubber bit on top of the leg just about the 'shock absorber', these always look cracked. My one looked old so I bought a new one. When I took the old one off, it looked perfect, once the tension was released it looked as good as new. I put the new one on and once it was under tension, it looked cracked.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby pilottrev » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks lads, new one ordered from Skycraft. I need to replace it as my inspector commented on the cracks at permit renewal and he will check that it has been replaced, it will give me peace of mind also.

safe landings

Trev
pilottrev

Postby dcnfsr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 pm

this is really useful, my inspector mentioned the very same thing!
Jabiru SP470
Engine No: 1759
dcnfsr

Aircraft: SP470 GIPAT

Postby pilottrev » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:27 pm

Finally got to replace the rebound rubber today, it's not as easy as we first thought, we (my son Lee and I) removed it as described above with the use of a ratchet strap to take the tension off but getting it back together is a different matter. I think if your front wheel is not sitting on a strong platform that you can ratchet down to then you would never get the rubber back on, you may do if you left out the small collar that the retaining bolt goes through, but Jabiru calls for the small collar to be fitted above the washer. My son and I both have engineering back grounds and we had to call upon some lateral thinking to get the job done. We soaked the rubber in hot water for twenty minutes to soften it along with the top washer (to keep the heat in) and had to use some 20" grips along with the ratchet to get the rubber to compress enough to get the top bolt in place.
Looks much better now, no cracks, the inspector will be pleased

Trev
pilottrev

Postby Garyo » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:49 pm

Mine went straight back on using the straps, no issues, maybe my main rubber tower was softer and compressed further, time of year?
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby igore » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:25 am

I also managed to change rubber on mine. I had yellow one before, it was all cracked, bought new one (red) from Sky-craft. Even before I started I new it will not be as easy as "plug and play", so I have prepared my self. But oh boy was I in a surpraise. Getting it of, was let say easy, but putting new one in. After 2 days of traying, I removed the front wheel, took it to first auto mechaninc, some brute-force and there it was.

Looks good now, but you need at least 4 hands to do the job. I wonder how they do it at the factory.

Good luck.
igore

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Garyo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:55 am

the full doughnut tower is a different matter altogether from changing just the top rubber.
when I changed the tower, I put a bar in the leg, wedged it between the hanger upright beam, had a bloke push the legs to compress the rubber then I had to fit the top and nut, if it had sprung off the hanger upright it would have hurt badly.

I have seen in the jab manuals they put the legs in a vice and pull down with a bar in it to assemble the unit
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby PKnight » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:27 am

DSC02603.JPG
DSC02603.JPG (2.02 MiB) Viewed 4117 times

The force required to compress the rubbers on the J4xx series is enormous. If any of your compression devices "let go" then there is a risk of harm. I designed a compressor using some screwed rods and was still nervous. Picture attached for info.
PKnight
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: J430

Next

Return to Airframe