Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Fading Brakes

Discussions on everything airframes.
  • Advertisement

Fading Brakes

Postby Eckertwa » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:53 am

Hello Tim Axelrod,

I saw your Introduction post. Welcome!

I am building a J-230 and am interested in your brake fading issue. Do you know what type of brakes you have? There is a long story behind the Jabiru brakes.

There are the single cylinder brakes, the Matco (I think that's the brand) brakes, and the recently releases dual cylinder brakes from Jabiru. The single cylinder brakes were known for fading. Pete at JabiruNA was outfitting the planes he built with aftermarket Matco brakes for that reason. Unfortunately, Pete no longer builds the planes he sells. Jabiru has recently, within the last couple of years started producing a dual cylinder brake that Pete believes works just as well as the Matco. If you do have the single cylinder brake, Pete can probably sell you a conversion kit for the newer brake system.

If you have the dual cylinder brake and are having problems, I'd like to know about it. I may consider changing my brake system over to something else if that it the case.
Wayne Eckertson
Eugene Oregon USA
Building 2013 J230
Eckertwa
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J230

Re: Fading Brakes

Postby Bug » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:00 pm

There is a dude in NZ that has an upgraded version of disks. They are slightly thicker and have holes for cooling. See pic below.

modified-disk.JPG
modified-disk.JPG (56.56 KiB) Viewed 1691 times

Replacement Jabiru Brake Rotor.pdf
(417.12 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Bug
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Jabiru j400

Return to Airframe