Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Oil level for taildragger

Post your general chit chat here. This is the only forum where POLLS are permitted.
  • Advertisement

Oil level for taildragger

Postby Kitfox » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:24 am

Greetings, I have a Kitfox with a Jabiru 3300A #2223. I have 80hrs on it since getting my airworthy in Dec 2015. I love my Jabiru and it is performing flawlessly. I converted my gear from nosedragger to taildragger this last week making note to make sure to check the oil level before and after the conversion to see where it fell on the dipstick in the taildragger configuration. Well, it does not even hit the bottom of the stick. I fashioned a coat hanger as a dipstick to see where it fell in relation to the bottom of the sump. The oil level on the coat hanger was about 1/8th in. This seemed awfully low. I raised the tail of the airplane to confirm that the level was correct on the Jab dipstick and it was. My question is, how to check oil level on a taildragger reliably without sticking a coat hanger in the sump? Anyone have experience with taildragger Jabiru? Any comments or suggestions? Thanks, Jeff in Florida
Kitfox

Aircraft: Kitfox

Re: Oil level for taildragger

Postby diablo » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:02 pm

Hello Kitfox,

That is a really good question. I am posting it in the technical forum and expecting members to come up with a solutions ...

BTW, I am not surprised with your finding in that the dip stick is way to the front of your engine which is where the level is likely to be most skewed. The shape of the sump is also working against you. The obvious solution would be to raise the tail when taking a reading. Easier said than done when you are on your own ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Re: Oil level for taildragger

Postby Kitfox » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:53 pm

Thank you, I will look in technical. And yes, lifting the tail is a pain.
Kitfox

Aircraft: Kitfox

Return to General board