Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Camit what has or is happening

Post your general chit chat here. This is the only forum where POLLS are permitted.
  • Advertisement

Camit what has or is happening

Postby Garyo » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:26 pm

There is a post on the yahoo forum that says camit is to shut its doors and the staff have been laid off? Anyone heard anything, is it true

I also heard the UK distributor has closed the doors, but then I dont think they ever did really open.
I may be wrong on both counts, just passing on what I have seen and not my views.
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Camit what has or is happening

Postby Steevo » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:02 am

Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Bug » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Cant say much but something is cooking. The source of the info is from australia and it is solid. There are changes on the horizon and they are coming in fast. Bottom line is that the engine competes with the Jabiru engine and the design is owned by Jabiru not camit. There are agreements in place but they will not be there for ever. Cash is also dryiing up! Watch this space.
Bug
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Jabiru j400

Postby Steevo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:21 pm

Well if it does turn out to be true then I feel sorry for anyone that has just bought a CAMiT engine. I really hope it isn't else we will be stuck with expensive Jabiru parts from SkyCraft and no real 'direct' competition to give Jabiru a reason to enhance and improve the engine.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby diablo » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Call it what you will and describe it how you like but essentially it is the same block with many parts that are interchangeable.

It is nice to be able to choose who to go to but I dont think that there is sufficient drive and focus on the customer. The term "customer is king" does not seem to apply if previous service levels are anything to go by. I also firmly believe that there is insufficient business in the GA market at the moment to keep all of these engine manufacturers going. Having two almost identical engines where the success of one is hinged on the failings of the other does not make any sense. I think Jabiru and CAMIT should get together, sort out their differences and get on with it. Together they would be far stronger and capable of weathering the storm. Lets face it, the GA fleet has not grown in almost a decade and there is no end to the current depression in sight !!

The facts are that :

D motor has not hit 100 units worldwide
CAMit motors are out there but according to serials, numbers are comparable
Rotax is not selling much
Jabiru is stationary (nothing has sold in ages here)

I would have thought that a small engine manufacturer has got to hit at least 5 units a month to keep running unless it is a very small and tight organisation or has plenty of other sources of work.

They are all up **** creek without a paddle ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Garyo » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:06 pm

Its not a buisness you would put your savings in, you will loose them. I if had to change engines would go down the D motor route. TLAC have sold 15 in their aeroplanes, say it is superb and not had 1 issue, unlike the Jab motor that they nearly all had issues.

If mr stiff bit the bullit and put a rotax or D motor in he would have a superb aeroplane. Bloke at chatteris has an x school c42 with nearly 4k hrs on it rotax 912, never been opened up and is sweet as a nut
You cannot get a jab passed 250 without opening it.
At the end of the day jab and camit is the same brush, why flog a dead horse, there maybe a chance if both work together but i cannot see new sales other than for replacing dead jab motors.
if you were building a kit and it was cleared to fit a number of engines like D, rotax, jab, camit, I bet I know the bottom 2 on the list would be.
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jetjr » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:27 am

All Jabiru engins come out of Camit, if theres problems, then its for everyone with Jabiru engines.
I dont believe Jabiru own the design, its shared IP. Despite what Rod thinks

The worst thing that could happen for existing owners is that Jabiru start fitting other engine types.
jetjr
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: J200

Postby Bug » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:08 am

I think you will find that the IP is definitely not shared. They will be solely owned by jabiru. CAMIT are licensed to build the older unit only.

Prove me wrong.
Bug
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Jabiru j400

Postby diablo » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:28 am

If it came to replacing the engine, i would get myself a d-motor and go through the approval process with the LAA. I cannot see any good reason for sticking with the Jabiru engine regardless of improvements and mods that have been made. I think the d-motor a far better way to go !

my two penny's worth ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby jetjr » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:35 am

No they are not made under licence, Camit went with older model because it had far fewer problems as now has been discussed by recent reports into failures

Both companies worked together to develop the engine.Shared IP.
Its very true that they should work together now too but Jabiru dont want this.
Any existing Jabiru engine is totally reliant on Camit for parts, Jabiru make very little to do with the engines.
Without CAE making parts and selling direct there will be no competition and owners will be left fitting every new part Jabiru can source from lower cost sources

If you visit both businesses you will see where the engine engineering expertise lies.
jetjr
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: J200

Next

Return to General board