Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Camit what has or is happening

Post your general chit chat here. This is the only forum where POLLS are permitted.
  • Advertisement

Re: Camit what has or is happening

Postby diablo » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:40 pm

No they are not made under licence, Camit went with older model because it had far fewer problems as now has been discussed by recent reports into failures.

That does not establish ownership of intellectual property. Just because iphone farms out the construction of the unit to a chinese company, it does not mean that the chinese company owns the intellectual property. That would seem logical in this case (CAMit builds the engine with permission granted by Jabiru).

Both companies worked together to develop the engine.Shared IP.

Again, The owner does not necessarily have to be whoever built or developed the engine. I can develop and build something but I don't necessarily have to be the owner of the IP (as in a kit aircraft for example where I build the kit and introduce changes that make it better)

Any existing Jabiru engine is totally reliant on Camit for parts, Jabiru make very little to do with the engines. Without CAE making parts and selling direct there will be no competition and owners will be left fitting every new part Jabiru can source from lower cost sources.

Not sure where and what you are getting at with that statement and unsure what it is meant to prove. What that tells me is that there is a relationship there. CAMIT and Jabiru are both dependent on each others success and to a degree, there is a certain amount of collaboration between the two, regardless of how it is portraid to the outside world. If one goes down the pan so does the other !

If you visit both businesses you will see where the engine engineering expertise lies.

We all know where the engineering expertise lies. What is the point you are trying to make though ?
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Clive » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:01 am

They had a very busy stand at the rally. Gordon Sargant and Kevin Hyam. No talk of any problems.
Lynleyhillaero.co.uk
Jabiru SP with 2200 @ 1500+ Hours
Esqual with 3300 @ 80+ hrs
Clive

Aircraft: Jabiru

Postby diablo » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:43 am

clive,

As the old saying goes, busyness does not equate to business ...

I know who gordon sargent is (my laa inspector knows him very well) but what is kevin hyman's background?
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Clive » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:47 am

He's an engine guy at Beverly, had mucky hands, as much as I know...;-))
Jabiru SP with 2200 @ 1500+ Hours
Esqual with 3300 @ 80+ hrs
Clive

Aircraft: Jabiru

Postby Hurricane » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:05 am

The D-Motor does look attractive on paper, although I'd hate to be the one to go through all the legal issues to fit one to a Jabiru airframe. To be fair, the Jabiru engine also looks brilliant on paper. The latest hydraulic lifter version (which is what I have in my J-160) really should be bulletproof. It's a sobering thought that Continental fitted hydraulic lifters on their original A65 engine in the late 1930's, and it was completely trouble free. Indeed, the same design is still used today in the slightly enlarged 0200. If they could do it 70 years ago, why should it be a problem now? We have better oils, and alloys available, along with machinery able to manufacture components to far closer tolerances.

My only problem with the D-motor is that the design uses side-valve heads. The internal combustion engine moved on to overhead valves before the second world war. This was done because it was recognised that the side valve design was inefficient. Why adopt an inefficient design in a new aircraft engine?
Hurricane

Aircraft: Jabiru J-160

Postby Matt » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:04 pm

I used Kev Hyam for parts on a recent top end overhaul. Very helpful. Provided the parts at a good price. Got some parts to me at short notice. Had a fair amount of Camit stuff in stock. Had some good advice and was happy to give that advise any time. When I first contacted him it was when Camit had just gone under. Was very open about the situation. Said he had stock and some more on the way. Told me what was going on at the factory. I contacted Gordon Sargent at the same time. He didn't say anything about Camit's demise and didn't come back to me about any of the parts I asked about just said me was waiting for a parts list due to changes exchange rate! Heard not more from him. As far as I am aware they both received their Jabiru training from the same person. I'd use Kev again.
Did hear that Jabiru were going to start producing parts for the older engines.
Matt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aircraft: G-BZWK

Previous

Return to General board