Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Jabiru stator charging system isolation

Storage for Jabiru technical documents.
  • Advertisement

Jabiru stator charging system isolation

Postby diablo » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:48 pm

Seems there are many Jabs out there that have an incorrectly wired stator system. Most of the aircraft I have seen, do not have any means of isolating stator and charging system from the battery. There is a master switch, but it just isolates power from on-board electronics. This is a hazard in that should there be an electrical problem in the air, it would not be possible to isolate the stator regulator system from the battery which (if there is a battery issue) could have very severe consequences.

Here is the approved circuit that should be in place on (see jabiru build guide).

G-bybz Alternator Mod.jpg
Approved wiring of Jabiru Stator / charging system and battery - both or either can be isolated
G-bybz Alternator Mod.jpg (54.86 KiB) Viewed 1706 times

Check your bird and make sure it is wired up correctly. Takes minutes and could save you a lot of grief should you have an electrical emergency in flight.
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Re: Jabiru stator charging system isolation

Postby skyjeep » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:03 am

I couldnt recommend this with either the original Jabiru stator or the "upgraded" one.

If you are running the engine and switch the battery master off, the main bus with radios connected will be fed with upwards of 30 Volts raw from the regulator.
skyjeep

Aircraft: Zenair CH701 2200A

Re: Jabiru stator charging system isolation

Postby diablo » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:17 am

Hello Skyjeep,

That is why you have a voltage sense wire. The sense wire senses the voltage the regulator is produces (usually connected to the Main Bus) and maintains it at 14.3V. This system is also present in the Jabiru or Kabuta regulator (not part of stator). Here is a link that explains how the sense wire works.

http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/remotevoltagesensing.shtml

What is advisable but not mandatory is a 20,000 uF capacitor (also referred to as a smoothing capacitor) across the +/- of the regulator. The purpose of this is to maintain the 14.3V within a narrow band (- or + 10%) as the you will still get some ripple when converting AC to DC (see diagram).

rectifier.gif
rectifier.gif (13.22 KiB) Viewed 1696 times

The circuit is an approved mod by the UK LAA.
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Return to Technical documents and Modifications