Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Cylinder Cracking?

This is a read only forum and contains all the archived posts from jabiruowner.co.uk.
  • Advertisement

Cylinder Cracking?

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Posted by: BobP on 23:56:19 01/06/15 Tue

The following is an extract from the CASA report on Jabiru engine reliability.

>>---------------------

Problems with Jabiru engines include failures of through bolts, flywheel bolts and valve train assemblies, as well as cylinder cracking.

-------------------------------<<

I have a reasonable handle on the issues relating to the through bolts and valve gear, but what are the issues with cylinder cracking?

Bob
Anonymous

Re: Cylinder Cracking?

Posted by: Geoff on 10:55:27 12/22/14 Mon

Bob, I can only assume they're referring to the RAA airworthiness notice in October. Sorry I can't copy the link to this here but it's on the RAA website.
Anonymous

Posted by: BobP on 22:54:53 12/22/14 Mon

Thanks for that info.

I would have thought that a single (non engine stopping) fault at 1900 hours would be well below CASA's radar, so I wonder why CASA would flag up an issue where Jabiru have not (as far as I can find) have made any reference to it. The only thing I did find was (in JSB 031-2):

3.3 Any Applicable Engine Still Equipped with MS21042 Style Nuts .........................b) Cylinders must be removed, cleaned and thoroughly inspected for cracks by trained personnel using a bright light and minimum 10x magnifying glass in the region between the lower cylinder flange and the first full cylinder fin. Dye Penetrant or Magnetic Particle Inspections are also acceptable. Where no cracks are found the part may be re-fitted...............

Bob
Anonymous

Posted by: DL on 19:17:44 12/22/14 Mon

Bob,

ping me your email address and i'll send you the report or google AVS4CYL001-1 and it should come up ...

Engineering Report: AVS4CYL001-1 issued on 14th of November
Anonymous

Re: Cylinder Cracking? Don't they mean Cylinder heads?

Posted by: Clive on 11:49:46 01/01/15 Thu

The cracking between the valves seats. Never heard a thing about cylinders.

Regards, Clive
Anonymous

Posted by: John R on 02:42:01 01/02/15 Fri

They are talking about cracking discovered after throughbolt failure
In some cases a unusual crack is found 25mm up the barrell

Does show they dont understand difference between symptom and cause.
Anonymous

Posted by: Steve on 15:02:44 01/02/15 Fri

This was put out a little while ago. I cannot find the document now. The cracks appear between the fins. Jabiru have said it does not affect the heads and does not affect operation. They are apparently stress cracks on the aluminium heating and cooling. Not sure what the long term future would be once the cracks are there.
Anonymous

Posted by: John R on 23:56:19 01/06/15 Tue

No thats a different issue, CASA never got involved. It was an inspection and information gathering exercise by RAA (Recreational Aviation)
Anonymous

Return to Archive