Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

CASA Consultation Draft

This is a read only forum and contains all the archived posts from jabiruowner.co.uk.
  • Advertisement

Re: Rocker bush wear, Hydraulic engine

Postby Anonymous » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:16 pm

Posted by: Peter Knight on 19:41:27 01/15/15 Thu

Clive,
I should have realised the potential problem with the rocker bushes when the hydraulic lifters have taken up all the slack in the system. In those circumstances there is little chance of sufficient oil getting to the bushes to prevent excessive wear. Mine were badly worn at 200 Hours.

The engine is number 33A 1336. I have had a top-end overhaul and through bolts done so I took the opportunity to convert the rockers to oil feed through the push rods. This seems to resolve the problem of rocker bush wear while still providing enough oil to lubricate the rest of the rocker and valve assembly.

Peter
Anonymous

Re: Rocker bush wear, Hydraulic engine

Posted by: roger on 10:44:46 01/16/15 Fri

If you remove the oil feed going over the valve guides then you need to check the valves (especially the exhaust valves) for heat stress and hairline cracks. Experience has shown you should check them every 200 hours and it is no1 that seems th most vulnerable.
Anonymous

Re: CASA Consultation Draft

Posted by: John R on 02:43:51 11/26/14 Wed

A key problem is than despite his excellent work, further developing JAbiru engine, its unlikely CAE will survive if Jabiru stop buying their engines from him. Suggest he may have to wind up before Jabiru do
Leaving us all without parts or upgrades
Anonymous

Posted by: John R on 02:46:50 11/26/14 Wed

Also I believe Jabiru have stopped CAE certifying 2200 due to them owning a portion of the IP involved in its development.

Ian is working on a entire new engine but its a while away and without Jabiru's business will be very difficult to progress
Anonymous

Posted by: DL on 11:16:11 11/26/14 Wed

The stark reality is that Jabiru and Jabiru fliers are by far the biggest audience for CAMit.

Without jabiru, CAMit's business is very limited and would remain a cottage industry with the possibility that it would eventually dry up.

The are further issues that one must consider; in the UK (one of the countries with a large jabiru fleet) there are few of CAMit's mods that are approved by the LAA (alternator and hydraulic to solid lifters on 3300 is it as far as I know). Some parts such as bare heads are considered like for like so do not require approval. therefore, CAMit's modifications in the UK is subject to approval and quite limited.

CAMit should make it a priority to get all of its products approved by the LAA and that would guarantee its business in the UK , build a solid reputation and strengthen the brand in Europe.

Best way to ensure longevity of jabiru and CAMit, is to unite with CAMit continuing to make and improve excellent engines and Jabiru concentrating on the airframe. As the old saying goes, too many cooks spoil the broth!

ps: I would consider a D-Motor if it came to buying a new lump
Anonymous

Posted by: Steve on 12:37:25 11/26/14 Wed

I think it will be very difficult for Jabiru now. They had a bad reputation before the CASA proposals but now it has been made very public and a bad reputation has turned in to a dreadful reputation.

But, they have an excellent reputation for airframes. There is not one complaint I have found regarding their airframes. It may suit them all round if they got CAMiT to manage the engine side of things and stick to creating great airframes. It will take an awful lot to shake off the bad engine reputation they have whether justified or not.

Unfortunately, Jabiru have waited far too long to answer to their critics and only now that they have to have they taken any action on all the criticisms of the past.

The CAMiT mods seem to have good press everywhere I have looked. I now have some CAMiT parts on my engine and they do seem to be better quality. I guess the test of time will prove or disprove that.
Anonymous

Posted by: Gary on 20:13:37 11/26/14 Wed

I think the damage is well and truly done now. This legasy will be around for many years. And the value second hand on the aircraft and engines has just halfed. The BMAA has a lot of jab haters and they voice it quite often when people ask what they are like as thinking of buying a jab, the haters bring it right down. It would be good if the LAA would reduce the red tape for installation of other engines like CAMit, D motor etc, or even the Rotec water cooled heads would be an option
Anonymous

Posted by: Gary on 19:48:19 11/26/14 Wed

If CAMit are working on a complete new engine, will they be able to break into the Jab market? Not sure if people will want to be test pilots a second time around when other motors now available like the D motor and the UL motor, just a thought
Anonymous

Posted by: Gary on 19:43:32 11/26/14 Wed

I thought i read somewere that Jab had a fall out with CAMit and are getting the engine parts manufactured else were, like china, or is this a myth
Anonymous

Posted by: Steve on 22:35:20 11/26/14 Wed

The CAMiT engine is basically a Jab engine. In fact, most parts are interchangeable between the 2 engines. The difference is little tweaks that have rectified common issues. The Barrels for example are virtually identical except the CAMiT have a slightly thicker base which stops the barrel distortion which some Jabs have suffered. CAMiT have also made better oil flow to crucial places to reduce heat build up in certain areas so again stopping some common problems.

Also, you only have to speak to CAMiT to see the difference in knowledge and customer service compared to dealing with Jabiru. CAMiT are also very upfront and honest about issues.

These are all things Jabiru could have done but chose not to. Some of Jabiru's issues have come from not the design itself but quality control. They sourced cheaper components of lower quality but still sold them at a premium price when they were not really fit for purpose. Through bolts and distributor caps for example. Then when prompted about it, they try and push the blame back to the owner but then sneakily try to make a change in the next version of the engine.

I obviously don't want the value of my aircraft affected but after significant amounts of money spent on my engine correcting known issues I can certainly see where the reputation has come from.
Anonymous

PreviousNext

Return to Archive