Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Electric Trim

Advice and information on the tail area.
  • Advertisement

Electric Trim

Postby Eckertwa » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 am

Has anyone put electric trim on their Jabiru planes? If so please share your details.

I am thinking about cutting out a section out of the trailing edge of the elevator, adding some hinges, and the electric servo. Any thoughts on how big of a trim surface I would need?
Wayne Eckertson
Eugene Oregon USA
Building 2013 J230
Eckertwa
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J230

Re: Electric Trim

Postby Steevo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:47 pm

This is also something I would be very interested in.

I know it has already been done on a Jabiru UL in the UK. I saw one for sale about a year or so ago and one of the selling points made was that it has been fitted with electric trim and had been approved by the LAA.
Jabiru J160 2009
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Trig TT22 Mode S Transponder
Trig TY91 Radio
Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby diablo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:09 am

The late bernard' faupel's jabiru sk has electric trim. He was a great engineer and would have made a darn good job at it. The rag of his aircraft was G-HINZ. It is one of the mods I would like to do on my jab ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Steevo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:38 am

I have been thinking about this mod for mine. I have had a look around at the Ray Allan trim servos. They do complete kits for around the £200 mark. They come in different sizes with regarding to the stroke length. Anywhere from 0.5 inch to about 1.5 inch. What do you all reckon the ideal stroke length would be if fitting one of these on a Jab SPL-450.
Jabiru J160 2009
Trig TY91 Radio
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Eckertwa » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:37 am

I have one of the Ray Allen kits that has a travel distance of 0.7". I am hoping to use that. Since I can control the dimensions of the trim tab, I can probably make it work. I am hoping to hear from someone who has an electric trim tab and could tell me the dimensions of their trim tab, how much deflection it has, and if they think it is adequate.
Wayne Eckertson
Eugene Oregon USA
Building 2013 J230
Eckertwa
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J230

Postby Steevo » Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Just a heads up for anyone in the UK thinking of doing this. Don't even go there.

There is 1 Jabiru flying in the UK with electric trim but it's not conventional electric trim the way we would think of it. The LAA will not allow any cutting of the elevators so you cannot fit trim tabs to the elevator that are movable. You cannot even just attach the electric trim servo to the cable controlling the trim as you have to be able to move the stick against it and that isn't possible with a stepper motor.

The Jabiru that was done in the UK kept the original system and then added a second spring system that was purely a stick bias trim using springs to allow you to pull the stick against it. All in all, no real benefit to adding electric trim to the Jab. You would still have the same range you have now but would over complicate the whole system.
Jabiru J160 2009
Trig TY91 Radio
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin