Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Microair Radio Problem !!! Help

Post information on Radio, Transponder, avionics, instruments and accessories including EFIS systems.
  • Advertisement

Re: Microair Radio Problem !!! Help

Postby Garyo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:32 am

think I will stick to my DC to DC convertor, that's good for 72v if I remember, short protection over v protection reverse polarity protection, generates its own ground that's isolated from the aircraft ground. I posted it in the files about 2 yrs ago, still working ok and it took out loads of noise in the system
Gary
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:53 am

The difference is, a step down/up adapter is about £2 from eBay.

I have a Dc-DC converter on mine called an AvioGuard.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Garyo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:45 pm

steve this is a RECOM unit 1.2A current, its a lot more than a normal regulator like a LM7812.
the cost of these is about £40.
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Hi Gary,

Yep I know what the DC-DC converters are, they are great but do have their drawbacks. My AvioGuard was just over £300 at the time. It does what it says on the Tin and is like having a completely isolated power supply so you can get contaminated free power coming from it. My radio, intercom and avionics run from it. It allows up to 10amps and produces a steady 13.6v with the input supply being between 8v and 50v.

The problem comes when you want 2 devices talking together that are not both on the DC-DC converter. For example, my colision avoidance system runs off the battery but my intercom runs off the AvioGuard. This means that ground wires come from different places and are at different potential so the voice alerts between the 2 have to have a shared ground. This defeats the object of the converter as now your are transferring interference from the unprotected system in to the protected system circuit.

If I was just running standard avionics it would be a perfect solution as I would just have my radio and intercom running off it. The reason it is on there is to stop the interference from the noisy Jab engine. But it does have it's downsides when you try and do something beyond that. The step-up/down converters do not provide any interference protection but what they will do is take a bad input supply (i.e. not stable) and keep it steady at 12v. It will also take out the peaks and troughs if the Jab regulator goes bang. It is not an isolated supply so doesn't do much else but for 2 quid, it's a nice simple solution for voltage limited electronics like the Microair.

I too would go for the DC-DC converter for an overall picture but if it's anything more than just running a standard setup then the DC-DC converters get very complicated to install.
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:18 pm

steve
pic of my dc to dc convertor, about 2" long, nothing complicated. it goes in line of the radio power lines
Attachments
IMG01692-20130703-1533.jpg
IMG01692-20130703-1533.jpg (259.22 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:49 pm

This is my device. It is bolted to the firewall.

AvioGuard.jpg
AvioGuard.jpg (10.87 KiB) Viewed 5100 times

It's like having a second 10AMP battery in the aircraft (weighs only a few grammes though).

It is completely isolated from the main supply. It provides a completely smooth 13.6v output and will keep running when the input supply is as low as 8v. At below 8v or over 50v, it shuts down to protect itself. It has some sort of microprocessor in it to monitor the voltage and current. It looks quite complex if you open it up.

But if you plug a device in to it, you have to connect both the live and ground to the terminals of the device (or a buzz bar provided for it). If you connect a live to the device and the ground to your normal ground then the device will have no power. It works great but on my aircraft was a real pain as my avionics system is completely integrated but couldn't have everything I have running off the AvioGuard because it would be pulling too much power.

On mine, the EFIS, Intercom and Radio connect to the AvioGuard which all talk to each other (so that's no problem because all that is sharing a commong ground). But then the Transponder, Collision Avoidance System and the CO Alert System also all connect to the intercom and EFIS but they run off the battery supply. This caused problems because there was no common ground between them.

I also have a flap and fuel pump warning system that also connects through the EFIS but that runs off the AvioGuard as well. Believe it or not but there is over 100metres of wire in my aircraft. I am lucky that the weight is only 279KG with a few weight saving devices like LED tail strobe rather than the standard Jab one (LED doesn't need a power supply). Wheel trims rather than wheel spats. A LifePo4 battery rather than lead acid. I want to get the weight down another 10KG or so but do not really want to remove any of the equipment.

The radio is being changed shortly for a much lighter one and a few other mods are being done over this winter period which should save a few more KG.
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:11 pm

fook, LOL, your jab is more like a 747 for gizmos. throw the fekking lot out and go back to basics. my jab is standard with standard odessy battery, has full spats, full panel and weighs 268Kg including the 3Kg of lead in the tail.
why do you need flap warning, look to your left and up a bit or out the window. you know by the feel if the flaps are left down or not down when you need them. why are you pulling more than 10a out of the battery, you got a kettle for in flight services in there as well?
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:39 pm

I like my gimmicks. The flap warning is for speed, if you fly above flap speed, the EFIS will tell you off. Mainly for a colleague of mine that occassionly flys the aircraft and I am always having a go at him for going over. The fuel pump warning system is for me. Was always taught to put the electric fuel pump on during take-off and landing and I was always forgetting or forgetting to turn it off once in cruise.

If you put your flaps down on the ground and the fuel pump is not on then it reminds me. If I take-off and have put the flaps up and then not turned the fuel pump off in 3 minutes or 2000feet then it reminds me. If I put the flaps down to land but do not turn the fuel pump on then it reminds me.

The CO alert system I wouldn't do without now, the little CO cards you can get are not much better than useless. Most people only look at them when they get in the aircraft and even if there is a CO leak in the air, they take a while to change colour. My one not only shouts at me through the headphones but it also displays the CO ppm content on the EFIS screen.

The collision avoidance system is a bit hit and miss but it's paired to my Transponder and EFIS so I get ADS-B out. It also shows other aircraft on the EFIS map including the Gatwick to Ibiza Airbus A320 8:37 flight :D .
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby duncanlogan » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:26 pm

Second successful flight this week with the repaired radio.

Glad to say Rick Lord has done a great job and even tweaked afew things, and im pleased to say there is now less interference from the engine and other electrical systems.

It was in fact a fuse that had blown, most likely a voltage spike. Total cost of repair was $110 dollars including postage to the UK. took just under 3 weeks to get back.
duncanlogan

Aircraft: Jabiru UL450

Postby Garyo » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:14 pm

Result
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel