Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Cameras

Post information on Radio, Transponder, avionics, instruments and accessories including EFIS systems.
  • Advertisement

Cameras

Postby Eckertwa » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:42 am

Has anyone fitted external cameras onto their Jabirus? I am building my J230 and wondering if I should do anything special such as adding wiring or mounting points to support cameras.
Wayne Eckertson
Eugene Oregon USA
Building 2013 J230
Eckertwa
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J230

Re: Cameras

Postby paulhorth » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:34 pm

I have mounted a Gamin Virb on top of the port wing strut of a J400, using their own 3m sticky pad mounting. The position was determined by the length of the audio cable which goes in through a gap in the rear door seal and plugs in to the P1 intercom skt. I used reusable tyraps to secure the cable to the strut and also to provide secondary security for the camera itself. No holes have been drilled in the airframe and when the camera is not fitted the cable can easily be removed. I have been using this setup for over a year with no problems and it has been approved by my LAA inspector.
I sometimes mount the camera internally using a clamp on the beam just behind/above and between the pilots to act as a flight instrument/audio recorder for test flights or IMC training flights etc.
Mounting on top of the instrument coaming did not provide a good forward view due to the normal nose high attitude of the aircraft and the need for a prop filter.

Cheers Paul

J400 G-KEVI (665Hrs)
CAMit 3300 (95Hrs)
Stolspeed VGs
MGL XTreme EMS + RDAC XG
Garmin GNS430 + GPS495
Sensenich W60ZK55G
Trelleborg T510 140-6 10ply mainwheel tyres
paulhorth

Aircraft: J400 G-KEVI

Postby Garyo » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm

Ihave a video action camera on the strut
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Its been like this for 13 years, what I cannot see I cannot worry about in flight.....
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gleee » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm

I use a genuine Go-Pro suction mount to the underside of the wing with a strap wrapped around the strut as a safety measure
Jabiru UL 450
Staffordshire, UK
Gleee

Aircraft: UL450

Return to Avionics, Radio, EFIS, Instruments & Accessories