Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

D motor new distributor

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Re: D motor new distributor

Postby Steevo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:12 pm

Jab quote 60kg dry weight for a 2200 for the current engine and the earlier engines were as low as 56kg. Similarly, you cannot use 2 aircrafts to compare weight even the same make and model. 2 exact airframes very rarely weigh the same.

I agree that the manufacturer weights are usually different to what the book says but the only way to confirm weight change is in the exact same aircraft. Even accounting for a small difference in the book figures, 10kg is a big claim for an engine only swap. If you go by manufacturer book weights then the D-motor should be slightly heavier than the Jab when both are filled with fluids and the extra gauges etc are added. This assumes that nothing else has been taken away.

Also where did the extra 24HP come from when Jab claim 85hp and D-motor claim 91.8hp. I know the older engines claimed to be 80hp and official tests showed them at around 60hp, but the later design was proved to be very close to 85hp.

Just playing devil's advocate here as if I were to replace my engine with a D-motor I would want accurate figures to justify the risk and make it worth it. No point in putting a new engine in the aircraft and then finding out it is now too heavy to fly it no matter how reliable the engine.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Garyo » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Imagine the climb rate with no temp issues, 1500 ft a minute easy none stop 2 up to whatever height you want, thats the use of the extra horses. Poss lower fuel usage in cruise, not worrying if a valve is going to pop out, no constante gauge watching or maint after every flight, bit like owning a 912. Best of all for me not eying a landing spot every minute waiting for the prop to stop (had 2 in flight stopages upto now, no 3 will get me........)
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bug » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:34 am

I have a buddy that is planning to fit one to a RANS airframe here previously powered by a Jabiru engine. iT seemed the logical way to go as theRe was no obvious advantage in buying a new CAMIT or Jabiru engine. Just going through the numbers and it all looks god. There are not many flying but it is an old design that has had quite a run.

It is very simple. Parts are chunky and not really much to go wrong and great support I hear. The engineers are happy to chat to you and provide guidance and assistance.

Would be a great way to go.
Bug
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Jabiru j400

Postby skyjeep » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:11 am

just happened to be reading up on things downunder
https://www.raa.asn.au/storage/sport-pi ... r-2015.pdf

of course my interest peaks every time i have to face some irregularities on my 2200
task today was to replace exhaust valves (precautionary because the heads are off) and rings (required due to blowby)
turned out there were 3 partially stuck rings and 1 broken 2nd ring
hope to get it finished tomorrow. 495 hrs so far but the more I see the more I like D-motor
skyjeep
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Zenair CH701 2200A

Previous

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical