Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Float needle

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Float needle

Postby Garyo » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:32 pm

Looks like I need to buy a float needle for a 40 mm carb. The one in mine has a red tip and silver plunger, skycraft one shows a black tip and black spring plunger for the 2200
So confused
Also does anyone have the part number and were to buy 1 from in the uk
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Float needle

Postby weirdfish » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:29 am

I thought the black one was the correct one as it's stiffer spring seals better on the Jab's fuel system.
J400
Engine No. 556

Jabiru (jab-er-roo) - Temperature anxiety disorder.
weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J400

Postby diablo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:06 pm

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop ... 5_20_FA_43

needle valve.JPG
needle valve.JPG (24.69 KiB) Viewed 3757 times

I think you need one of those ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Steevo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:06 pm

Or you could buy it from Skycraft and they will just buy it from the link above and double the price.

All the ones for Jab are black tipped now. Supposed to be much harder.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Garyo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:30 pm

Cheers, looked at them today and called them, skycraft list 2, 1 for gravity feed and 1 for the jab which has a harder spring plunger, called motorworks and they said bing make a number of needles, they only stock for the bike which is gravity fed and suggested i buy the skycraft one to be sure i get the right one, so i bit the bullit and ordered 1 and a new shaft for it.

Then i started to look on bmw forums and discovered it is a common fault with the 94 carb, if the bowl has been emptied the floats are lazy and dont rise due to the geometry of the tin work that carries the floats.
The rule of thumb is to hand fill the bowl, offer it to the carb and bingo it will not flood.

When i was doing my testing every time the bowl went back on with fuel in it it was fine apart from when i tweeked the tab too much, to confirm i took the bowl off, emptied it then refilled on the carb and it flooded, so the whole prosess was started again till 4 hrs passed and i removed the carb from the plane.

The info was a day late.

I had originally fitted a new carb rubber and cleaned the bowl out, the carb then sat empty for two weeks. When filling it, if id of tapped it it would of been fine. Just shows how sitting back and leaving it would pay dividends rather than dive in, but human nature says to done the flippers and go for it. So now i need to re set it up and do the whole lot again but with some valubal info.

What came out of it though On strip down today i found the idle mixture oring was shot, this proberbly explained my increase in tickover that was out of the blue, so fitted a new oring to this
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:39 pm

Deano, both on skycraft are black tipped but the harder spring one has a black spring, mine arrived today, great service from skycraft, ordered it at 4.30pm, on the door mate 09.00 am next day.

I pressed the plunger and this one is prob 3 times as hard to push in, at first it would not move then gave, was stuck and went with a click so prob a burr or something.

So how does this hard spring one benift over the soft spring one that was the original one.

My thought is you get the max push from the float lift were as the soft one will give

Skycraft advise this 1 as the jab is pumped and the soft one for rotax as gravity fed? Not sure on that as the c42 has a mech pump, assume it is selective for the instalation
But why would the pump make a diffrence to the spring hardness?
Discuss
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Set up the floats at work with water, they are 30% more boyant that petrol, a tap on the carb proved good and no flooding with consistant results every time. Fast fwd to the hanger, carried out the same tests with fuel, set floats to bing spec and bang on the money. Fitted carb and no issues from the set up, all tests passed inc flight testing.

For the future, when removing float bowl, replace back with either fuel in the bowl or first fill tap the carb to release the floats, save you 70 quid and 8 hrs work trying to sort a red herring out that does not actually exist. Lesson learned
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin