Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

High Fuel Pressure

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

High Fuel Pressure

Postby Steevo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:01 am

This may be a red herring and simply be a sender fault but since I have not looked properly yet, I thought I would ask in case it was something that was known in the community.

My Jab hasn't been started for a few months (due to the hangar door not being able to be opened - don't ask, long story). I managed to start it at the weekend and it fired up first time and seemes to run perfectly. The only issue is that my fuel pressure is reading between 6 and 7psi which is well outside the Jabiru specification. Before being winterised, it would read around 3psi maybe going to 3.5psi. It could just be the sender but I am told it is unlikely with the type of sender I have on there. There does seem to be any ill effect on the running of the engine but at that fuel pressure there is a very high risk of the carb flooding. I am yet to have a look at anything as all I did was start it at the weekend and run it for 30 minutes and then put it away again.

Any ideas?
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Re: High Fuel Pressure

Postby Garyo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:16 pm

do you think you may have a restriction in the line causing a pressure increase at your sender? pull the pipe off and fill a tub to check actual flow per min. then have a look at the the pipes
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:23 pm

More than possible. It has been sitting for the best part of 3 months and not started in all that time. Regular hand turning of the prop but not running as I couldn't get it out of the hangar. It is quite possible some crud has worked it's way in to the lines.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Garyo » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:01 pm

would water cause any effect, last couple of weeks we in the UK had some bad condensation days were the aircraft were dripping, no amount of drying would clear it, engine blocks were soaked. did a fuel test and got 2 egg cups of water from the tank,

fuel pipe started to break up (rot) with the fuel? would lead to small black deposits. last Saturday when messing with my carb, I did a fuel check, no water no crud, by the time we finished float bowl emptying in a jar (about 1.5 Ltrs) there was small black bits and water present, the onboard filter was clear, the bits would of got caught in the filter so these must be in the lines after the filter
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin