Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Ram air duct fit

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Ram air duct fit

Postby weirdfish » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:27 am

What is the general consensus of how close the inside edge of the air ducts fit to the cylinders? I've recently redone the intake seals, which with the older cowl and narrow ducts is quite tricky to get a good seal and retain the ability to remove the cowl :roll: , but I'd like to improve the fit along that inside edge. The problem with the narrow ducts on the 6 pot is the inside edge does not run parallel to the cylinder fins until about half way, this is more acute on the 2-4-6 bank. Meaning the from the middle cylinder forward the duct edge fits on top of the fins. I'm sure I can improve it with some silicone baffle seal or such like but was wondering how beneficial it would be.
J400
Engine No. 556

Jabiru (jab-er-roo) - Temperature anxiety disorder.
weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J400

Re: Ram air duct fit

Postby diablo » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:40 pm

In an ideal world, yo would have a perfect seal. However, that is almost impossible if you are using the standard Jabiru baffles. Have you tried using a thinner strip of rubber? Just as good, just easier to bend when putting onor removing baffles. Available from ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBBER-STRIP- ... 26S1GaBmBw

Easy enough to replace ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

PostThis post was deleted by diablo on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:48 pm.

Postby weirdfish » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:53 pm

That was actually my thinking. I have some 1mm silicone rubber that will probably do nicely.
J400
Engine No. 556

Jabiru (jab-er-roo) - Temperature anxiety disorder.
weirdfish
Contributor
Contributor

Aircraft: J400

Postby Ian147 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:27 am

weirdfish wrote:What is the general consensus of how close the inside edge of the air ducts fit to the cylinders? I've recently redone the intake seals, which with the older cowl and narrow ducts is quite tricky to get a good seal and retain the ability to remove the cowl :roll: , but I'd like to improve the fit along that inside edge. The problem with the narrow ducts on the 6 pot is the inside edge does not run parallel to the cylinder fins until about half way, this is more acute on the 2-4-6 bank. Meaning the from the middle cylinder forward the air duct cleaners portland oregon edge fits on top of the fins. I'm sure I can improve it with some silicone baffle seal or such like but was wondering how beneficial it would be.

I think you have to take help from the expert or change the Cylinder.
Ian147

Aircraft: harrier

Postby Brent » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:43 am

I'm not convinced that the seal needs to be in any way perfect. I've spent many hours working on this on a J430.

I found that opening up the rear of the duct (at the very bottom rear of the duct) had the biggest results and allowed greater masses of air to flow through. Blow air into the duct at the front with an air compressor spray/blower type fitting and put your hand at the rear and see where the air escapes. Pull the rear of the duct away from the cylinder and you'll feel more air coming out - this is good. The theory of closing off all exists which will force air down between the cylinders doesn't hold water for my installation, it responds much better to increased flow.

I've posted pics of my ducts in another here somewhere.

As per my pics I also fitted "ramps" at the front of my ducts like perhaps an RV.
Brent

Aircraft: J430

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical