Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Dropped exhaust valve

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Dropped exhaust valve

Postby pilottrev » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:16 am

Hi Guys,

I had an incident on Thursday, the exhaust valve on No. 2 decided to break and embed itself into the piston after chewing up the head of course, good news we managed to glide back safely and no other damage was done. The pistons in our engine are the flat top type now superseded by the ones with the cut outs, can we fit just one of these new ones? or do we have to replace the other three as well?
I am having difficulty finding the bits to do the repair, skycraft web site says "out of stock" any thoughts or suggestions ?
Trev :(
pilottrev

Aircraft: ul-450

Re: Dropped exhaust valve

Postby Matt » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:05 am

Have you tried Camit? Their parts should fit. Don't know the cost.
The pistons are from a Holden car engine which was a licensed built GM engine. Think they called it the Ecotech. It was a V6. With a bit of Internet research you might be a ble to source a set from a automotive supplier.
You should change all 4 if you are replacing the Pistons to the new style. I'd have a good look at the other cylinder heads as well. Check for guide wear or valve stem wear. There is also a check for checking the wear on the valve Spring washer depending on what type of engine you have.Also did the engine have a sudden stoppage? Did anything get bent, conrod, etc.
Matt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aircraft: G-BZWK

Postby diablo » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm

You will need to do at the very least a top end strip down, thoroughly check what damage there is and go from there. Pistons are standard automotive parts. I believe they can be sourced from CAMIT, so can rings, a head and valves. It is going to be a little difficult now as we do not seem to have an agent any longer.

First step is to assess damage. PM me or steve as we can help rebuilding your engine.
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Garyo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:40 am

I have a spare piston and rings, they are second hand used ones, the piston has a couple of marks but servisable as sold to me after being checked by an expert... If you get stuck its there, but if you can get a new one go with new.
Also have a head with a new exhaust valve and seat fitted, that is servisable, again if you get stuck its available
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pilottrev » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies,
I have just had an e mail from Roger the Camit representative from Power Engineering and have sent him some pics of the head as there has been some design changes over the years, there doesn't seem to be any bore damage thankfully, we will have to remove the sump to make sure nothing has come off the underside of the piston and to check for any further damage.We are going to replace all the exhaust valves whilst we are at it, it makes sense, I don't want to do that again !
All credit to the Jabiru engine, it continued running on three albeit at tick over, I'm sure a lesser engine (we all know who we mean) would have stopped altogether.
I still can't get over how we managed to "glide" for 4 miles starting at 1400ft and make it back to our airfield and a greaser of a landing with a 90' crosswind.
pilottrev

Postby diablo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:35 pm

I thought Roger had left CAMIT and someone else had taken over the distribution for the UK. Is he now working for CAMIT again?
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Garyo » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:16 pm

pilottrev wrote:Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies,
I have just had an e mail from Roger the Camit representative from Power Engineering and have sent him some pics of the head as there has been some design changes over the years, there doesn't seem to be any bore damage thankfully, we will have to remove the sump to make sure nothing has come off the underside of the piston and to check for any further damage.We are going to replace all the exhaust valves whilst we are at it, it makes sense, I don't want to do that again !
All credit to the Jabiru engine, it continued running on three albeit at tick over, I'm sure a lesser engine (we all know who we mean) would have stopped altogether.
I still can't get over how we managed to "glide" for 4 miles starting at 1400ft and make it back to our airfield and a greaser of a landing with a 90' crosswind.

Amazing how the mind focuses when the chips are down, congrates to the landing
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pilottrev » Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:59 pm

Hi Guys, Got a reply from Roger and he put me in touch with a chap called Kevin from Power Engineering,I think must be Camit agency, he has all the bits I need (hopefully) and is taking them to the Sywell rally for me.....result, just need to get 'em fitted then. :D
pilottrev

Postby Garyo » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:56 pm

I have just obtained 220 engine 2048 for spares,all parts available

What parts do you need and how much are they from camit dealer out of interest
Gary
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pilottrev » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:28 pm

I haven't had a price from him yet, I'll let you know when I do.
No. 2 head, 4 ex valves, piston and rings, small end.
pilottrev

Next

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical