Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

2018 - where we at

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

2018 - where we at

Postby Nije » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm

Gents,

I've been out of flying for a few years, but now have a plan for a non-jab airframe, with a Jab 3300 engine.

Therefore - I'm wondering where things are at with the "new" Jab engine.

I'm aware of demise of Camit. I'm told that it was purely for business reasons, and that the engines were good.

Cheers

Nije
Nije

Aircraft: None

Re: 2018 - where we at

Postby Garyo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:14 pm

Which engine are you going for?
The camit engine, most of the bits are compatable but if you say its for a camit you wont get the parts, the camit owner gave been left high n dry. The camit was a big improvement but also has its faults.
Jabiru have done a gen 4 engine, I think these are now being sold to the general public test pilots.
Does it have to be a Jab, why not look at some of the other offerings on the market D motor etc
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Nije » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:33 am

Wow - sounds like business as usual if Jab are still doing their product development as guests of their customers. I went thru all that with a solid lifter J2200 .... one of the 'good' ones.

Airframe is a Sonex. Factory supports Jabs and VWs. (J2200 doesn't have PFA blessing). I have no appetite for getting another engine past the PFA.

The Sonex goes well on a 3300, but bit marginal on the VW for the strip I have in mind.

Is there any [?] prospect of optimism for the 4G engine?

Who are the right people to ask .... I understand that Roger and GC have both left the party. [edit] I'm NOT suggesting that you are the wrong person to ask !!
Nije

Aircraft: None

2018 - where we at

Postby Ican » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm

viewtopic.php?t=869
This may possibly help to answer your question.
The factory in George, South Africa has also done a lot of development work on the engines over the years and is also involved in the new engines.
(We have around 300 Jabiru planes flying in South Africa and possibly another 100 in southern Africa.)
Ican

Aircraft: Jabiru SP 470

Postby Garyo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:28 pm

The new one does look the biz, but not enough testing in the real world. Bench is ok but does not replicate the real abuse engines get in aircraft

The jab bottom end is robust, the top end is the issue I would like to see them do a water cooled version
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin