Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

New propeller fitting issues

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

New propeller fitting issues

Postby Syoung33 » Mon May 28, 2018 10:48 am

Hello Folks,

I have a Rans S6 G-CGZG powered by a Jabiru 2200 (engine number 22A 1164).

I have just bought a new GT Prop, the one approved for Rans/Jabiru, but on removing the old GT prop it seems that a previous owner has introduced some 'modifications' to the way the prop is mounted.

Instead of 1/4" mounting bolts I found 8mm bolts (the old prop had had its holes enlarged to accomodate these)
The drive bushes these sit in also have an internal diameter of 8mm
The holes in the crush plate are also 8mm
The crush plate itself is not a flat plate, but had an additional central 'cylinder' into which the spinner is retained by a single hex bolt - i dont think this is standard?

I would like to return everything to standard if possible. Could anyone advise whats my best way to proceed and source the necessary parts please? I am based in East London, UK.

I've attached a couple of photos

Any advice would be very welcome, many thanks,

Simon
Attachments
Rans1.jpg
Rans1.jpg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Rans2.jpg
Rans2.jpg (41.75 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Syoung33

Aircraft: rans S6ES

Re: New propeller fitting issues

Postby Admin » Mon May 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Please report in engines section of the forum. You will get more attention there ...
Jabiru UL-450 built 2000 S/N 589
CAMit Alternator
Panel Throttles
MGL Explorer EFIS
Trig TT21 Mode S Transponder
Funkwerk ATR833 8.33khz Radio
Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PowerFlarm Collision Avoidance
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Steevo » Mon May 28, 2018 7:12 pm

It’s going to be fairly expensive to return this to standard fit unless you can find the parts required on the used part market.

The crush plate with the centre bolt for the spinner is pretty usual when using a non Jabiru spinner. It’s actually not a bad thing as when you mount the spinner, it will be perfectly centred. I have a non standard spinner on mine with the central bolt and prefer it.

To go back to standard you would have to buy a new crush plate, spinner and prop bushes, bolts, nuts, washers.

It is probably worth speaking to Skycraft (although I hate to recommend them). But it won’t be cheap. The bushes are £11 each and the spinner itself is close to £200. When you add on everything else, I would not expect much change from £400.

Maybe get a 3rd party central spinner and then buy the standard bushes, bolts etc.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Mon May 28, 2018 7:24 pm

I would drill out the prop to 8mm, not worth the expense to returm to 6 mm. I have jyst checked a prop adaptor i have off an engine close to yours and the smallest gole is 11 mm this would fall into place with your spacers for 8mm maybe jab changed the size?
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Mon May 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Pops (forum member) had a set of prop bushes/thimbles for sale. I am unsure if he ever sold them. Message Pops on this forum, he may still have them. The crush plate and dome shaped spinner were available from another paul (http://www.parts4aircraft.co.uk) ... all for under £100.00

It was identical to this one ...

https://warpdriveinc.com/product/spinner-aluminum-4/

I am unsure if he still stocks them but he may be able to point you to someone else in the UK that may.

ps: i would not fly any plane with those socket heads. they look like the ones used on my roller skates not like real grade aviation bolts!
Jabiru UL-450 built 2000 S/N 589
CAMit Alternator
Panel Throttles
MGL Explorer EFIS
Trig TT21 Mode S Transponder
Funkwerk ATR833 8.33khz Radio
Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PowerFlarm Collision Avoidance
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Syoung33 » Tue May 29, 2018 6:07 am

Many thanks for all the information and suggestions gents, very much appreciated.

I shall follow up on this as soon as I'm home from work today. Seems I bought a 'bit of a project' with this plane, and really just wanted to go flying. But hey ho, I'm learning lots about Jabiru engines along the way, so every cloud and all that :-)
Syoung33

Postby Syoung33 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:40 pm

I think I've worked out why a previous owner used the 8mm (actually 5/16") bolts - to fit what I now realise is a non Jabiru crush plate and spinner.

So my options are to try to locate a similar crush plate with 1/4" holes and buy new standard 1/4" bolts and drive bushes

or

Buy new 5/16" bolts, use the existing drive bushes, crush plate and spinner, and drill out the 1/4" prop holes to 5/16"

Does anyone have an idea of who might be the manufacturer of the crush plate / spinner please? (I'll attach a photo)
Attachments
IMG_7069.JPG
IMG_7069.JPG (552.89 KiB) Viewed 988 times
Syoung33

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical