Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Increasing oil pressure - Jab 2200A

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Increasing oil pressure - Jab 2200A

Postby The Red Baron » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:43 pm

I've got a Jab SP470, with 190 hours on the engine since a top-end overhaul (700 hours total). Since it's last oil and filter change (25 hour service) I've had issues with the oil pressure increasing during flight. It used to sit at around 35psi, dropping to 30psi when warm at cruise power. Now it seems to sit at 46psi in the cruise when warm, but over the course of 30 minutes the oil pressure rises up to 70 ish. Reducing the throttle will bring the oil pressure down again. It also seems to be pushing a fair amount into the overflow bottle, which was full after 20 hours. I've been careful to keep the oil level as close to the dip stick min mark as I can.

Any ideas why this would be?

Thanks for any and all advice.
The Red Baron

Re: Increasing oil pressure - Jab 2200A

Postby Steevo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:13 am

The first place I would look is the oil sender itself. They are prone to failure on the Jab due to them being fitted directly to the engine under high vibration.

My oil pressure tends to be around 58psi when cold at idle and will rise to about 68psi is I add some power.

Once it is warmed up, it drops to about 20-30psi at idle and stays around 40psi in the cruise.

Do you know where you are reading your oil pressure from. There are 2 places where the oil pressure sender can be connected. Once can give a significantly higher reading than the other.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin