Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Jabiru 2200 Engine - storage

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Jabiru 2200 Engine - storage

Postby Rolf » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 am

I will let the aircraft stand for 3 months and think about using the ACF 50 to avoid corrosion in the valve lifts house. Can ACF 50 be used for this purpose?
Rolf

Aircraft: LN-YRP

Re: Jabiru 2200 Engine - storage

Postby skyjeep » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:52 am

ACF50 is designed for airframes, not for engine internals. Valve springs and washers in there do rust, a surface spray of LPS-3 would be better if you must.
The manual calls for preserving oil, but I know of nobody using it on any aircraft engines.
An alternative would be squirting some Castrol Activ 2T oil for 2 stroke air cooled scooters into the cylinders. Some have been adding a small amount to fuel and I have added it to the intake port after the carb before shutdown but it doesnt carry up to the cylinders much.
I can get rust in cyliders within 3 weeks depending on climate, and it happens just the same on the Cessna engine.
Jabiru themselves state the cause of sticking rings is rust being scraped and deposited into the ring lands, I believe this is the area most at risk in storage.
skyjeep
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Zenair CH701 2200A

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical