Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

D motor new distributor

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

D motor new distributor

Postby Garyo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:28 pm

Our very own TLAC has announced they are now the Eastern UK distributor of D motor. TLAC are fitting these to the Sherwood Ranger and report excellent performance over the Jabiru 2200 that used to be fitted. Press release soon from TLAC

http://www.g-tlac.com/D%20Motor.html
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (103.58 KiB) Viewed 6568 times
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: D motor new distributor

Postby Garyo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:10 am

Paul Hendry Smith is testing the D Motor in his Sherwood Ranger, he said on FB and I quote;

"Engine amazing, in excess of 912 power by some 14 hp in excess of Jabiru by some 24 hp ( that's honest real horse power ) and 10 kgs lighter installed than a Jabiru." un quote

well there you have it..........10Kg lighter 24hp more power got to be the way to go. not sure on how many hrs is on the engine at his place, I know it has flown with the D motor in and said it was smooth as silk and faultless. I think we have a contender..
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:09 am

This would be great news but I am a bit suspicious of the figures being spurted out.

The dry weight of the D motor (as in their documentation) is 2KG less than the dry weight of the 2200 plus they state 5KG of liquids on the D-Motor so where has the 10KG saving come from. The 24HP more I would believe if they were comparing it with an older 2200 engine with the 32mm carb and old induction system but unless modifications have been made I am very suspicious how the HP has been measured.

I would love this to be true as I do not have much confidence left in the Jabiru engine but those figures just do not seem realisitc.

Even the official D-Motor documentation does not add up where the figures are concerned. The specification says that the engine dry weight is 58KG and has 5KG of liquid in addition. Then their advertising literature says that an installed engine weight is between 56KG and 57KG. Where did the 6KG disappear to.

If I could swap my Jabiru engine for a D-Motor and also save 10KG then I would do it tomorrow. But unless the liquids are being replaced by Helium I cannot see any possible way I could shave 10KG off. Additional to this, you would also need extra gauges to measure things like coolant temperature and ECU temperature. Again this adds weight, and because you are now relying on electronic fuel injection, to play it safe you really need the redundant option they offer which again will add weight.

Not trying to be pessemisitic here but the figures just do not add up.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Garyo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:24 am

I have just asked the question on were his saving came from, will let you know what he says
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:04 pm

I can understand it if the saving is in the firewall forward kit or something like that. But comparing the engine side by side with the purpose of putting it in to a Jab, I think I would be increasing the weight to an extent where it becomes a definate one seater.

If I really could install this engine and save 10KG then I would take a risk and do it over this winter thus giving the unjustifiable amount of time needed for the LAA to approve it. Coupled with all the other benefits of this engine, it would be worth it and maybe give me my confidence back in the aircraft which I am sorely lacking at the moment.

I am not really bothered too much about an increase in power as anymore power would be wasted as even with the Jab engine it is already too easy to reach VNE and the LAA would never in a million years upgrade the weight or speed thresholds.
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Apparently, swapping the Jab engine for a D-Motor keeps the weight exactly the same.

http://www.d-motor.eu/nl/jabiru-138.htm

I am not sure I totally believe this but would love for it to be proved the case. I am not sure I would do this unless I either had to (i.e. needed a replacement engine) or there was a substantial benefit somewhere else (substantial weight saving etc). It's a big cost to what could be a big risk. There isn't currently enough time on these engines or enough out there to bring to light any inherent problems or drawbacks of which there are bound to be some. Parts availability could also be a problem and there is only a 300hr warranty.

The time you add all the additional bits required (gauges, wiring, radiator, LAA approval, delivery and taxes), you will be talking £12k-£13k.
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:05 pm

Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby diablo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:01 pm

That is seriously nice and starts by hand ... no more pissing about with dead batteries !

The more I look at the d-motor there more I feel it is the engine for me. Made in europe, automotive spares, no overheating, no tappets, drop a valve and carry on engine, no 25 hour oil changes and most of all no self inflated mechanics to deal with or listen to ranting about one thing or another ...

It is going to take one of us to take a leap of faith ! steve ?

d
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Steevo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:58 pm

It's getting it through the LAA that puts me off the most.
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Garyo » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Pauls reply

Paul Hendry-Smith There are a couple of routes to confirmation of weights. We have a Sherwood Ranger XP demo aircraft that weighs in at 250 kg fitted with D Motor that includes everything including a wing storage box (new development) we have a customers XP weighing in at 265 kg new jab engine same covering, same fitments everything but no wing box, 15kg difference??? First lesson don't believe manufacturers weights quoted all installs are different in some small ways and aircraftt to another aircraft type hugely different. D Motor have quoted a number of figure, the last east is I believe 60 or 62 kg but that is typical with rad, fluids everything. jab quote 65 kg, all I will say is go and weight one with everything attached, it's heavier. Their first engine might have been 65 kg but over the years like humans it has gained weight.

Any further info, would be worth calling him as he is a distributor he has fitted all different motors in his planes, now moved from jab to these
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin