Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Rudder Stop

Discussions on everything airframes.
  • Advertisement

Rudder Stop

Postby Eckertwa » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:07 am

I am making good (but not fast) progress on my Jabiru J230 build. I am currently fine tuning the rudder movement. I am questioning the need for the rudder travel stop that is on the tail. The airplane already has travel stops on the rudder pedals. Other planes, such as my Rans S-14, only have stops on the rudder pedals. Anyone know of a reason for the redundant travel stop or a reason why I shouldn't omit it from my build?

Page 4 of this link shows a few photos of the stop.

Wayne Eckertson
Eugene Oregon USA
Building 2013 J230
Aircraft: J230

Re: Rudder Stop

Postby diablo » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:46 pm

Good question

Perhaps it is something to do with the use of a single teleflex cable that push and pulls rather than standard lines (usually two) that do the work ?

just guessing ...
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
Site Admin
Site Admin
Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby PKnight » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:41 pm

I think you should regard it as a 'last line of defence'. The rudder is a fairly constricted part of the build as there is not much space to get all the adjustments in while at the same time avoiding any possibility of the rubber fouling the trailing edge of the fin or, worse still, actually getting jammed on the fin at full scale deflection. The physical rudder stop will prevent excessive deflection that could lead to a potential rudder jam. I agree that proper rudder stops on the pedal should have the same effect but those stops are a long way away and there will always be some flex in the rudder cable.

If for any reason the pilot applied full rudder and really, in a moment of panic, really gave the rudder some serious welly it might be possible to break or over-ride the rudder stops. The stops at the rudder end might just be sufficient to ensue that the rudder stayed within limits.

I agree it is belt and braces but I would certainly install the moulded rudder stops and not for a moment think of omitting them. Best of luck with the build. Keep going there are even more exciting issues than the rudder stops ahead!
Aircraft: J430

Postby Garyo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:03 pm

I will agree with that, thete moulded in for a reason
Former Owner of
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio