Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Jabiru 2200 with low power output.

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Re: Jabiru 2200 with low power output.

Postby seanxair » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi Steve,

I spoke with Phil at Magnecor today. I shall probably start with the HT leads and then look at the coil leads but it will be interesting to hear how you get on.

Think the Menestrel is a thing of great beauty. Hope you enjoy flying yours.

Best,

Sean
G-OEZI
seanxair

Aircraft: Easy Raider

Postby chrislizp » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:06 pm

Re Jabiru RFI and Magnecor leads. The main source of RFI is the coil to distributor lead. I have fitted Magencor plug and coil leads and the RFI disappeared when the coil leads were fitted. Using these leads has transformed my com radio reception to excellent.
The length (and orientation) of the coil lead is a 1/4 wave antenna resonant at about 145 MHz which is just above the top of the VHF com band (I have assumed a velocity factor of about 0.6 in the calculation)
Chris
chrislizp

Aircraft: G-DMAC

Postby seanxair » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:23 pm

chrislizp wrote:Re Jabiru RFI and Magnecor leads. The main source of RFI is the coil to distributor lead. I have fitted Magencor plug and coil leads and the RFI disappeared when the coil leads were fitted. Using these leads has transformed my com radio reception to excellent.
The length (and orientation) of the coil lead is a 1/4 wave antenna resonant at about 145 MHz which is just above the top of the VHF com band (I have assumed a velocity factor of about 0.6 in the calculation)
Chris

Hi chrislizp - would you change coil leads first? They are quite difficult to do from what I gather.
G-OEZI
seanxair

Postby Kai Lyche » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:07 am

Hm,

Interesting!

I suppose replacing the lead from the coil to the distributor with the Magnecor brand requires the coil to be shipped to Magnecor? I would say splitting the original lead and splicing in a new one yourself would be very difficuilt?? And what about grounding?

What about NOT splitting the lead? What would happen if you took a very fine wire tension spring of sufficient diameter and carefully wrapped/threaded it onto the coil/distributor lead? This would have the final look of something like the fine mesh wire bride we see on the LyCons? Of course the spring would have to be grounded very close to the coil.

Just asking.

Thanks
Kai
Kai Lyche
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: Sonex TD

Postby seanxair » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:19 am

Luckily I'm about 20mins away from Magnecor so any work I get done should be relatively easy to facillitate. Intend cracking on with the HT leads first
G-OEZI
seanxair

Postby chrislizp » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:39 am

Re fitting a Magnecor cable to the coil. It is not a difficult job to remove and replace the cable - Phil has written a good procedure explaining how to do.
I made a hollow serrated cutter to remove the last bits of the insulation glued to the coil body and used Araldite 2014 to glue the new cable in place.

I do not think screening the coil lead will stop the RFI - it is the high inductance of the Magnecor that stops the radiation.
Chris
chrislizp

Aircraft: G-DMAC

Postby seanxair » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:50 am

Hi Chris,
Phil did mention a hollow drill bit he was trying to access and I assume it is something like you have used. If I do the coil leads I will get him to do it as it will be well beyond my skill levels.
Sean
G-OEZI
seanxair

Postby diablo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Inspector should would check if engine static RPM is within limits (give or take). The values from manual are :

Full Power Static RPM Recommendations

2200C Variants
Static RPM 2800 – 2950

2200 Variants
RPM 2700 – 2950 RPM

You fall in the lower RPM so it should be a pass. I flew my SK which gave me a 2700 static (due to a partially blocked air filter). It flew fine. After unblocking air intake (left cover on) it flew better :D
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Previous

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical