Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Fuel System

General advice on building your kit aircraft.
  • Advertisement

Fuel System

Postby Admin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:47 pm

Originally posted by Andy Hollit

FUEL SYSTEM

Leave the tank unpainted but glue fabric to the top of the tank to protect it from luggage. Leave a hole in the fabric near the inlet to check the fuel level when filling the tank. Don't let the fuel inlet support the weight of the fuel pump nozzle or it will crack. Instal a rubber grommet where the fuel tubing exits the centre console.

An earthing wire must run from the tank earth back to the console earth buss.

Replace the fuel tubing with high quality, blue fabric covered line (Aeroquip 8346 2705).

For security, replace threaded swivel on fuel cap with a nylock nut. Carry a tube spanner.

To prevent fuel loss on takeoff, remove the aluminium vent tube (hot iron) and cut off the fibreglass tab. Cut out a 50mm straight section and epoxy it in the tank, vertical. Run the vent tube straight up, around window and down to a 90 degree exit pipe (cut from the vent tube).

You can't see the fuel level below 30 litres. Auto instruments (83624881) have a magnetic fuel float moving on an enclosed reed switch. Epoxy the shaft in an aluminium tube mounted vertically on a double flange set 100mm starboard of the filler. Set height for 10 litres.

I velcro'd an acrylic mirror (with a 30mm hole in the centre) to the hole in the fuselage former. This enables me to see the fuel level when it gets below 20 litres (and is an excellent signaling mirror!).

A 50W lamp mounted in a holder, epoxied to the back of the fuel tank, lights it up, making fuel levels much easier to see. You don't have the light on for long. I used a starter pushbutton switch and mounted it to the right of the throttle. N.B (NEARLY CAUSED A FIRE ON ONE IN THE UK if you use Avgas and don't paint the tank, you can see the fuel - Vic)

Using a 90 degree barb on the inlet side of the boost pump makes routing fuel lines easier.

There are high pressure and there are low pressure boost pumps; and they appear identical. The Jabiru uses low pressure, the local auto parts supplier has high pressure!

The use of teflon tape to seal fuel connections is not acceptable in aircraft, as re-fitting can allow bits of teflon to block fuel flow (and has!). Loctite make a thread sealing compound designed for fuel fittings.

The brass fuel inlet barb to the carby just sits in place with an O-ring. The whole thing came out when I was trying to pull the fuel line off, so I epoxied it in place.
Jabiru UL-450 built 2000 S/N 589
CAMit Alternator
Panel Throttles
MGL Explorer EFIS
Trig TT21 Mode S Transponder
Funkwerk ATR833 8.33khz Radio
Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PowerFlarm Collision Avoidance
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin