Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Strobe Light Install

Post for help and advice on engines, fuel systems, ignition and engine electrics.
  • Advertisement

Strobe Light Install

Postby duncanlogan » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:55 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to install one or two strobe lights to my jab, I have found this product online, and a member at our flying club has already successfully trialled and fitted these to his flexwing microlight.

https://www.lightbar-shop.co.uk/REDTRON ... Y-HAW.html

It looks like it would be very difficult to fit on the top of the tail, so my plan was to install one on top of the fuselage and one on the underside.

My question is, is it ok to drill the fibreglass, more specifically the centre part that has the spine and the top just above the windshield

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated

Cheers
Duncan
Attachments
JABIRU STROBE LOCATION.jpg
JABIRU STROBE LOCATION.jpg (1.38 MiB) Viewed 200 times
duncanlogan

Aircraft: Jabiru UL450

Re: Strobe Light Install

Postby Steve » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Is there a particular reason you want to go with that actual strobe.

Not sure the answer to your question but I have never seen them on the fuselage. I swapped my tail strobe out for an LED one and Vic Leggott made me an adapter so that it would fit on the tail. Fitting on the tail is easy but getting the wire all the way to the front can be a bit of a challenge.
Jabiru UL-450 built 2000 S/N 589
CAMit Alternator
Panel Throttles
MGL Explorer EFIS
Trig TT21 Mode S Transponder
Funkwerk ATR833 8.33khz Radio
Flight Data Systems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PowerFlarm Collision Avoidance
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Steve

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby PKnight » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:18 pm

I have one strobe on the top of the tail and another underneath the fuselage. My thinking was that this provided visibility both above and below the aircraft. The aircraft is a J430 and the tail strobe was wired up at the time of the build. It would be 'challenging' to attempt to install after build. I do not see any problem in drilling the underside of the fuselage to connect a strobe. As usual be careful to check what is on the other side of any holes before you drill i.e. fuel lines, control cables ,laser guided warheads, etc.

Peter
PKnight
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: J430

Postby MikeL » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:40 am

I recently changed a rather dim Halogen bulb for a set of LEDs in my Landing Light. The result was a whine on my Trig radio. Whilst it isn't overbearing, I'm hoping it will go away with time. it might be worth trying a temporary set-up to test yours before you start drilling holes.
Mike
MikeL

Aircraft: Jabiru SPL

Return to Engines, Ignition, Fuel System and Electrical