Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Joy stick pressure

Post your general chit chat here. This is the only forum where POLLS are permitted.
  • Advertisement

Joy stick pressure

Postby CESantos » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:20 pm

After flying a CTLS and a Skycatcher C162, I find the Y-stick on my J230SP requires more pressure to move about. Is this normal for the Jabiru? Are there adjustments that can be made to ease the exertion that must be made? The Jab doesn't seem to stable in a light wind and I'm trying to find out if its really the plane or my handling of it. I am a student pilot. Thanks for any response here.
207 Jabiru J230-SP
N695J Serial # 659
Glass Panel - GRT Sport EFIS
Garmin 696
TruTrack Autopilot
Bing self-adjusting carburetor
Matco brakes
Title Search by Aero-Space Reports
3rd Owner
CESantos

Aircraft: Jabiru J230-SP

Re: Joy stick pressure

Postby diablo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Hello,

the jab is indeed a little different. It would not be as stable as a Cessna or the any landomatic types. It requires constant pilot input (touch and feel) which once you are used to, becomes second nature. In my eyes, it makes you a much better pilot as you use all control surfaces (rudder, elevator, ailerons and trim). if you can fly a jab, you can fly anything and if you can fly an SK (jab) , you are likely to be good enough to dance for the royal ballet ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Royal_Ballet

keep at it !
Sent from my "Electronic Numerical Integrator And Calculator" E-N-I-A-C
diablo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru SK 2200A 1157

Postby Garyo » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:08 pm

Agreed, jabs make better pilots
Former Owner of
G-OMER
Jabiru 450 UL
Engine serial 1041
1 CHT sensor on No 4 under plug
No Exhaust temp sensors
No glass panel
No xponder
Microair radio
No bells and whistles
Garyo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steevo » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 am

Certainly here in the UK, it would be difficult to say exactly what the 230 feels like as we don't have any here.

I have a J160 and yes, the stick is a little firm and no, there are no real adjustments you can do. But really it is down to preference. A firm stick can be a little more controllable as every little input is noticeable and you know you have done it. I came from learning in a Cessna and found the Jab very different. I didn't like it at first and it took me a while to get used to it but it does tend to grow on you after a while.

When you compare it to something like a SportCruiser, the SportCruiser controls are extremely light and it is very easy to over compensate as every little change on the stick can produce a big change to the pitch and bank. I cannot say I have noticed that it is any less stable in windy conditions than any other comparable type. This will all be down to wing loading. The Cessna is a heavy aircraft by comparison.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby CESantos » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Thanks to Diablo, Garyo and Steevo. At least I know its normal. Hope I get used to it soon or I see a Skycatcher in my future.
207 Jabiru J230-SP
N695J Serial # 659
Glass Panel - GRT Sport EFIS
Garmin 696
TruTrack Autopilot
Bing self-adjusting carburetor
Matco brakes
Title Search by Aero-Space Reports
3rd Owner
CESantos

Aircraft: Jabiru J230-SP

Postby PKnight » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:55 pm

I have a J430. Difficult to comment on different types of Jab but I have noticed that if they are out of trim then the stick pressure let's you know it. So, for example, when you are on base leg and you slow down and drop the flaps you will need to trim back as the stick pressure is certainly 'firm' if you don't do that. Once trimmed I find that small stick movements are automatic and require no more pressure than other aircraft. After a few hours it all becomes automatic and you wonder what the problem was! (I hope).
Peter
PKnight
Beginner
Beginner

Aircraft: J430

Return to General board