Jabiru Owners Group

Welcome to the world of Jabiru

Wing drain holes?

Discussions on everything airframes.
  • Advertisement

Wing drain holes?

Postby hobson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 am

Hi all, my inspector pointed out that I should have drain holes on wing extremity as his permit check asks to check they are clear. My SK doesn't but is 18 years old. Can anyone advise / send pics of what they have if they have drain holes?
Cheers.
hobson

Aircraft: Thruster / Jab SK

Re: Wing drain holes?

Postby Matt » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm

They are foam core wings! There's nothing to drain! Your inspector is taking the permit renewal inspection to literally. The permit renewal form he is basing his inspection on is a generic form, its been written to cover a wide range of aircraft. Hes going to have trouble when tries to inspect the tail skid, screw jack and rollers as well. Your inspector should be using TADS or HADS for guidance when inspecting an aircraft he is not familiar with. If he wants any guidance PM me. I'm a LAA and BMAA inspector.
Matt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aircraft: G-BZWK

Postby hobson » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:11 pm

Thanks Matt, he was reading the notes for the Jabiru, plus the UL in the hangar opposite mine has drain holes at the extremity of the trailing edge.
hobson

Postby Steevo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:08 am

My UL (SPL-450) and J160 does not have any drain holes. There are inspection holes but not drain holes. I have never heard of it before and my inspector has never mentioned it and I cannot see any mention on the TADS about it.

But I do learn something new every day.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby hobson » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:51 pm

Ok thanks. Will explain this and report back.
hobson

Postby hobson » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:42 am

This is in TADS for 430/450. "Inclusion of the wing tip drain hole is commonly forgotten, but make sure that the ventral fin and cockpit drain holes are also not forgotten or blocked with debris."
hobson

Postby Steevo » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:45 pm

I guess I am reading this a different way. The TADs sort of say to me that the wing tip drain holes are commonly forgotten, then it goes on to say but make sure the ventral fin and cockpit drain holes are there. To me that suggests that if the wing tip drain holes are not there then you cannot check them and do not need to do anything else with them. But it also suggests that it's a different matter if the ventral fin or cockpit drain holes are not there.

It seems that it is acceptable (not ideal) if the wingtip drain holes are not there but not acceptable if the cockpit of ventral fin drain holes are not there. As I stated, both my aircraft do not have the wing tip drain holes and it does not seem to be there on the earlier version of the TADs. I just downloaded the latest version and that statement is on there.
Jabiru J160 & Jabiru SPL-450
PS Engineering PM3000 Intercom
Funke THT800H OLED/Trig TT22
Funke ATR833 OLED/Dittel KRT2
Flight DataSystems GD-40 CO Monitoring
PoweFlarm Core
PilotAware
Garmin 496 GPS and SkyDemon
MGL Xtreme EMS
TruTrak Autopilot
Steevo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aircraft: Jabiru UL-450

Postby Matt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I haven't seen any drain holes on the Jabirus that I've inspected. Doesn't mean that all of them don't have them. If he is still worried about have a look in the build manual or contact Jabiru on their tech forum. Used it a few times and you usually get a reply.
Matt
Forum Regular
Forum Regular

Aircraft: G-BZWK

Postby hobson » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:55 pm

Thanks all, permit is done, inspector suggested two small drain holes on wing extremity but didnt mandate it.
hobson

Return to Airframe